Have you heard of laser lipo? This fat reduction method is growing in popularity in recent years due to all of the benefits it offers. It is much more gentle on the body than traditional liposuction while still offering amazing results. If you have been seeking a way to contour your body and boost your self-confidence, this just may be the right treatment option to choose. Let’s take a comprehensive look on what it is, how it works, what the benefits are, who it’s for, and everything else you could want to know about laser lipo!
What is Laser Lipo?
This is a non-surgical, minimally invasive treatment. An ultra-fine laser fiber is gently inserted into the target area. The laser then heats up the fat in the area, resulting in the fat liquefying. This liquefied fat is then gently removed via suction, leaving the area more toned. A major bonus associated with this treatment is the heat will cause your body to create more collagen, which results in tighter skin.
In order to safely do this, very specific wavelengths of laser energy are used. These wavelengths have been selected due to the fact that they target fat without damaging the surrounding skin and tissue. Many treatments combine more than one wavelength for optimal results. This depends, in part, on what area of the body is being targeted.
What to Expect with Laser Lipo
Before moving on to the actual procedure, a consultation must take place. This is when we can evaluate the area of the body you would like contoured and ensure that laser lipo is the correct treatment method. In most cases, one treatment session will be enough. This may not be the case if you have multiple target areas or more excess fat that can be dealt with at one session. The number of treatments is something that is discussed at your consultation.
During this initial meeting, you will also be given any instructions for preparing for your procedure. Certain medications may need to be stopped for a specific time period. If you are a smoker, it is recommended that you quit prior to the procedure and during your recovery. Smoking has been proven to slow down the body’s ability to heal.
This treatment is done using local anesthetic. Many people consider this to be one of the many advantages laser lipo has over traditional liposuction, which is done under general anesthesia. The treatment typically takes somewhere between 45 minutes and one hour to complete but will vary depending on the target area.
What to Expect After Laser Lipo
One of the greatest things about laser lipo is the small amount of downtime experienced afterward. Many people do not need to take additional time off of work and are up and walking around immediately after their procedure. You will need to avoid doing anything too strenuous, especially when it comes to workouts, for roughly two weeks. Like with traditional liposuction, you may be instructed to wear a compression garment on the target area during the first two weeks. This simply is done to minimize swelling.
You will see improvements right away that just continue to get better as time goes on. Results are seen sooner with this treatment than with traditional liposuction due to the fact that there is less trauma to the area. This means there is less swelling and bruising to disguise your results.
While you should see some improvements right away, it will take a while for the full impact of your treatment to be visible. This is because it takes your body time to make new collagen, heal, and absorb any fluid. The process may take as long as three to four months to complete. Many people enjoy these gradual results because they appear naturally, just like they would with diet and exercise on their own. Depending on what area of the body you had treated, you can expect to see an improved figure and silhouette after your treatment.
How Are Laser Lipo Results Maintained?
Like with weight loss achieved by any method, a healthy lifestyle will be essential for maintaining improvements made with laser lipo. Although destroyed fat cells are gone for good, some cells are left behind. This is essential to your health. These fat cells will still have the ability to expand if a proper diet and exercise plan is not followed. It is possible that a dramatic weight gain after your treatment will also lead to fat accumulating in a different part of your body. Remember, while the results with laser lipo are very long-lasting, they do not slow down the aging process.
Who is a Good Candidate for Laser Lipo?
The best candidates for this treatment are those who are in good general health and near their body goals. They are people who have excess fat or skin elasticity that is mild to moderate and want a minimally-invasive solution. People who are near their goal weight but have not been able to lose those last stubborn pounds are typically great candidates.
This is not a treatment meant to help people lose weight all over their bodies. The ideal candidate is someone within 25 pounds of their final weight goal. Like all body contouring procedures, laser lipo is not intended to replace a healthy diet and exercise routine.
Certain people will be advised against having this treatment done. This includes women who are pregnant or breastfeeding because the safety of laser lipo in these situations has not been thoroughly studied. Those with pacemakers or defibrillators will also need to explore other treatment options. There are also medical conditions that make this treatment a bad idea, which is why your health history will be thoroughly discussed at your consultation.
What Areas of the Body Can be Treated with Laser Lipo?
This effective treatment can be used nearly anywhere on the body. While some people have just one area they want to be treated, many others choose multiple targets for laser lipo. Some common treatment areas include:
- Abdomen: Both the upper and lower abdomen can typically be treated at the same time. This is great for eliminating the dreaded muffin top and giving your entire abdomen a sleek appearance.
- Arms: The upper part of the arm is known for accumulating fat. Rather than getting an arm lift, many people find satisfactory results using laser lipo.
- Chest: This area is typically targeted by men. Excess fat in the chest region can leave men feeling embarrassed. This is something easily solved by laser lipo. For women, precisely done laser lipo can actually serve to lift the breasts, making the chest appear younger.
- Thighs: One common area of complaint for women is the thighs. It can either be the inner thigh, outer thigh, or both. Contouring the thighs leaves your body with a more aesthetically-pleasing figure.
- Legs: Although not as common, this procedure can be done to target excess fat found on the legs. Sometimes, targeting the calves can help to improve the overall shape of the body.
- Hips: The hips are an important part of the figure, particularly for women. By eliminating the extra fat in the area, a more hourglass-type body shape can be achieved.
- Back: Bra fat is a common complaint for women. This term is used for the rolls of fat that sometimes appear on the upper back.
- Face: This precise and safe procedure can be used on the cheeks or chin. It can be used to reduce the appearance of a double chin.
Why Choose Laser Lipo for Fat Reduction?
If you are someone in search of a way to reduce fat and tighten your skin in a certain area, there are many reasons to consider this treatment. Some of the highlights include:
- It is more comfortable than traditional liposuction
- Recovery is much quicker than with traditional liposuction
- Due to the fact it is less invasive, it is considered to be safer
- Local anesthetic is used instead of general, making it safer still
- It is an effective way to reduce stubborn fat
- It manages to tighten the skin at the same time
- You see instant improvements that continue to get better over time
- It has shown itself to be effective at reducing the appearance of cellulite
Many people do not consider liposuction for fear that it will leave the treated area looking saggy. Remember, laser lipo will help your skin make enough collagen to tighten to your new body shape!
Laser Lipo vs CoolSculpting
CoolSculpting is another very popular non-surgical body contouring treatment currently available. This treatment aims to do the same thing, only goes about it in the opposite way. While laser energy heats fat cells to the point they are destroyed, CoolSculpting freezes them until they crystallize and die. Both of these treatments have many of the same benefits.
Where laser lipo becomes a better option for many people has to do with its ability to tighten the skin. Lowering the temperature of your skin will not produce collagen production, whereas heating it will. Since losing fat has the potential to cause your skin to sag, it is obvious why skin tightening is a huge bonus. Also, you will see instant improvements with laser lipo. CoolSculpting takes weeks if not months to make a noticeable difference.
Learn More About Laser Lipo
Interested in learning even more about laser lipo for fat reduction and what it can do for you? If so, we encourage you to reach out and make an appointment with ARR Medical Group. At our convenient location in San Juan, our caring and devoted team of professionals will be pleased to explain this option to you in greater detail and answer any questions you may have. Contact us today to set up your consultation – we look forward to speaking with you!